Table of Contents
Ever been caught in a breakfast rut? We all have! But what if I told you that breakfast can go way beyond cereal and oatmeal? Enter these low-carb breakfast eggs with a pizza twist! They’re not just your usual sunny-side-up; these eggs pack a flavorful punch that will keep you energized all morning long.
Inspired by the viral TikTok Pesto Eggs, these low-carb breakfast eggs swap out the pesto for marinara sauce and takes your breakfast game to a whole new level. It’s a quick, keto-friendly meal that’s perfect for those busy mornings.
Why You’ll Love These Breakfast Pizza Eggs
- Quick and Easy: Ready in just 10 minutes!
- Low-Carb: Perfect for keto and low-carb lifestyles.
- Versatile: Swap out toppings to make it your own.
Ingredients & Substitutions
Heads up: For exact measurements, see the recipe card below.
Making this easy breakfast meal only takes a few minutes. Here’s what you need:
- Marinara Sauce: Opt for homemade Marinara Sauce or sugar-free store-bought for a keto-friendly option.
- Olive Oil: Used for greasing the pan, preferably extra virgin.
- Eggs: Large or jumbo for a filling meal.
- Mozzarella Cheese: Freshly grated is best to avoid dry cheese due to added starches found in pre-grated cheese.
- Pepperoni: Adds that pizza flair to your breakfast.
- Basil: Fresh is ideal, but dried works too.
You can use cured chorizo or even turkey pepperoni. Need a vegetarian option? Simply skip the pepperoni and add extra cheese for protein and flavor.
Of course! Feel free to use your favorite cheese. Parmesan, Pecorino, Gouda, or Swiss cheese are great options.
Sure! You can make the original TikTok recipe by using pesto instead of marinara sauce.
How to Make Low-Carb Breakfast Pizza Eggs
Heat the Pan. Grease a medium pan with olive oil and place it over medium-high heat.
Add the Sauce. Spread the marinara sauce evenly over the pan.
Cook the Eggs. Crack the eggs into the pan and break the whites gently with a spatula.
Serve. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve.
Tips for the Best Breakfast Pizza Eggs
- Preheat Your Pan: For an even cook on your eggs, make sure to preheat your pan before adding the olive oil. A properly heated pan ensures the eggs start cooking as soon as they hit the surface, preventing them from absorbing too much oil and becoming greasy.
- Fresh Toppings: Use freshly grated mozzarella for a meltier, more luxurious texture than pre-shredded cheese. Also, fresh basil added right at the end will give a burst of herby freshness that dried herbs can’t match. If you’re using pepperoni or any other meat, make sure it’s of high quality for the best flavor.
- Watch the Heat: Keep an eye on the stove’s temperature. Cooking eggs on a heat that’s too high can cause them to become rubbery, while too low a heat won’t give you that slightly crispy edge that mimics a pizza crust. Medium-high heat is the sweet spot for cooking the eggs thoroughly while still keeping them tender.
This meal is best eaten fresh while still warm. Runny eggs don’t keep well and can’t be reheated.
Low-Carb Breakfast Pizza Eggs
- ¼ cup homemade Marinara Sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil (extra virgin )
- 3 large eggs
- ¼ cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 6 slices of pepperoni
- Fresh basil (to serve)
- Heat a medium pan greased with olive oil over a medium-high heat.
- Add the marinara sauce and spread evenly over the pan.
- Crack in the eggs and use a spatula to break the egg whites gently.
- Sprinkle with cheese and top with pepperoni. Cook for 2-3 more minutes.
- Garnish with fresh basil and serve warm.
- Cooking Tip: For fully-cooked yolks, swirl them into the whites and sauce with a spatula.
- Storage: Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to two days.
- Dairy-Free Swap: For a dairy-free option, use vegan cheese.